Prevent MemberDirect® Online Banking Fraud
By following these tips, you can play an important part in achieving safety, whether you're using Debden MemberDirect®, Mobile Banking or just surfing the web.
- Install firewall software from a reputable vendor. Any device connected to the Internet is susceptible to malicious attack if it is not properly protected. A firewall creates a barrier between your personal computer and the Internet allowing you to control the flow of information to and from your computer.
- Use a secure browser. To make sure that you can complete your transactions securely and confidentially, you must use a Web browser that has 128-bit secure sockets layer encryption (SSL). Although other Web browsers may also function, we've tested two that are proven to work with Debden Credit Union MemberDirect® Online Banking Services on both Windows and Mac platforms:
Secure your network. If you have an in-home Wi-Fi network that allows you to surf online without being connected by a cable, be sure to safeguard your network with a robust network security system that features strong encryption.
Protect your password. Difficult to guess, unique passwords are the best. Longer passwords that mix numbers and letters are more difficult to guess than shorter ones. Under no circumstances should you share your passwords with anyone (including Debden Credit Union staff). Use different passwords for different web sites and accounts, and change your passwords on a regular basis. That's one of the first things that sophisticated cyber criminals look for if they make it past your network security. Disable automatic password-save features in the browsers and software you use to access the Internet.
Protect your devices. Some forms of malware are designed to take over your computer and steal passwords and other information, which are then used to commit fraud, identity theft, and other criminal acts. Be sure that all of your devices - e.g. computer, laptop, tablet and smartphone - are protected with reliable anti-virus and anti-spyware software, and make sure to update it regularly.
Be careful what you download. While most games, tools and programs available on the net are harmless, there's a chance that a download may contain malware or spyware. To stay safe, only download programs and email attachments from trusted sources, and be sure to thoroughly scan them with your up-to-date anti-virus software before installing.
Keep your software up to date. It is not uncommon for security holes and software bugs to be identified in commercial software after it is released. It is important to regularly visit the software vendors' websites to obtain security patches and software updates.
Never leave your computer unattended while using our online banking services.
Logout after you are finished your online banking session. Always exit the Debden Credit Union MemberDirect® Online Banking using the logout button and close your browser if you step away from your computer. Your browser may retain information you entered in the login screen and elsewhere until you exit the browser.
- Microsoft Internet Explorer® 8 and later
- Mozilla Firefox® 8 and later
- Apple Safari® 2 and later
- Google® Chrome 14 and later
- Opera 8 and later